Hi there! In this guide, I am going to explain to you how to set up Echo Dot. It is so simple if you follow the guide step by step. But first, let me introduce Amazon Echo Dot so you can understand the guide easily.
Amazon Echo Dot is the latest addition to the Amazon echo range of cylindrical voice-activated computers connected to the Alexa Voice Service that provides answers to questions, music, weather, news, sports scores, and more.
You might be on your way to ask funny questions to language assistant Alexa in no time at all. This voice-controlled hands-free speaker can do so much more than you think.
With Alexa, the echo can respond to voice commands and play your music, read your audiobooks, report the weather, break the news, and more. With seven built-in microphones, the echo is designed to let you hear your voice commands no matter where you are in the room, even when background noise or music is playing.
Excited to get started? Here is…
How to set up your brand new Amazon Echo Dot
DOWNLOAD THE ALEXA APP
The free Alexa app is a must if you own an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. You will need it to set up your echo dot device.
- Download it on a Smartphone or tablet running iOS 11.0 or higher, Android 5.1 or higher or Fire OS 5.3.3 or higher.
- Just open the App Store included with your device and search for “Alexa App”. Download the app to a computer?
- Make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi and download it from the Amazon Alexa website.
PLUG-IN THE ECHO DOT
This is probably the easiest step in the entire setup process because the echo does not need batteries to work.
- Simply plug the supplied power adapter directly into the echo and plug it into a power outlet.
- When the light ring turns blue, it means that the power supply is connected.
- Then wait until it turns orange, as this is a sign that Alexa is preparing to greet you.
When that’s done, you’ll hear Alexa’s voice telling you that the device is ready for setup.
CONNECT THE ECHO FROM THE APP WITH WI-FI
- Next, you will have to connect your Echo device to your home Wi-Fi network. The latest versions of the Echo will guide you through this process.
- However, if you get stuck, just open the Alexa app and browse the available networks until you find yours.
- If you have more than one Echo device, go to Alexa Devices in the menu and select the correct device.
- Under the heading Wireless, the status of the Wi-Fi network connection should be displayed.
- Once connected, you can save your Wi-Fi password to Amazon.
This way, you can easily connect to smart home devices or set up a new Alexa device on the same network if you decide to buy more echoes from other rooms. You also have the option of connecting your echo to a public network, even though the password is not stored on Amazon.
TALK TO ALEXA
First say the catchword, which by default is “Alexa”. But maybe there is already a human Alexa in the house, and you want to change the wake-up word into something else?
- Just say to the echo – “Alexa, change the wake-up word.”
- You can also manually change the wake-up word by opening the Alexa app, tapping Help and Feedback, and choosing Change Wake Word.
- Presently, you can adjust the echo to respond to Echo, Amazon, and Computer. No word on when Amazon will allow you to customize Alexa so that you can “Mr.” can call. T “,” Honey Bunny “or” Jelly McJerkface “.
START WITH YOUR ECHO DOT
Congratulations, your Amazon Echo Dot is set up so you can use it in your daily life.
To make sure everything is working properly, you can do a simple test by trying some basic commands. Say, for example, the wake-up word and “hello.” If your echo is set up correctly, Alexa should respond with a simple “hello”.
But the echo can do much more than just say Hello to you. In the menu of the Alexa app, you will see two sections called Skills & Games and Things to Try. These are both great ways to see what Alexa is capable of.
- In particular, skills can help you customize Alexa by giving her specific abilities. Think of them as mini-apps for many different developers that you can use for entertainment, organization, news, and more.
- More, you can also use your Echo device to create task lists, find out the weather, check the traffic, call your friends, send text messages to your family, stream podcasts, or connect to smart home devices.
- Alexa has thousands of essential and less essential skills that you can add as well. Check out some of the most useful things that can help you with Amazon Echo.
CONNECT SMART HOME DEVICES OR AN EXTERNAL SPEAKER (OPTIONAL)
Go to your Alexa app menu and select Smart Home (Alexa may show you an ad that you can leave at this point).
In this mode, Alexa tries to find all nearby smart devices and connected smartphones so you can pair them. You can also choose to add a device if Alexa is having trouble finding the device you want.
You can also organize devices into groups and create more complex scenes in which multiple devices interact at the same time. For more information, see our article on routines.
The Amazon Echo can also play music, and the sound quality has improved only with the second-generation model. To make sure you have a first-class listening experience when listening to music or listening to audiobooks, you can connect an external speaker to your Echo device.
For best results, purchase a Bluetooth speaker that is certified for compatibility with Echo devices.
Note that your echo can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. So, if a device is already connected to your echo, you’ll need to un-sync before you can connect your external speaker.
What is the Amazon Echo? The Echo is Amazon’s first Wi-Fi connected smart speaker and now it’s the second generation is also available. It’s a cylindrical device that can play music, set alarms, and timers, make calls, answer questions, and control connected home devices – all through voice. A smaller version called Echo Dot is also available.
If you want to stream your own media library through an Echo device, Amazon doesn’t make it easy. You used to be able to upload music for playback on Echo devices on Amazon Music Storage, but Amazon stopped this service last year. The best thing to do now is to stream from your PC via Bluetooth (more on this below) or to connect to a service like Plex.
For this reason, the easiest way to listen to music on an Echo device is through a music streaming service. By default, your Echo is linked to Amazon Music. If you’re an Amazon Prime subscriber, you can download more than 2 million songs for free from Prime Music, or 10 million if you upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited. You can also access other popular services and stream music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or computer to your Echo device.
Follow the steps below to link an Alexa Echo device to a Fire TV or Fire Edition TV. To do this, use the Alexa app that you installed on your smartphone when you set up your
Echo devise or a similar device for the first time:
1. Open the Alexa app and tap the menu icon (three white lines in the top left corner – just to the left of the word Home).
2. Tap Music, Video, and Books.
3. Tap Fire TV.
4. Follow any additional setup instructions.
5. Tap Connect Devices – make sure this is confirmed.
After the link is confirmed, your Echo can control Fire TV features and access to content that can be viewed on your TV.
You can connect your Fire TV to your Echo device using your phone’s Alexa app. It works much like Amazon’s Alexa Voice Remote for Fire TV, only without the actual remote. The update is compatible with all generations of Fire TV and Fire TV Stick in the United States.
So, friends, these were the steps to set up Echo Dot. Hope this helped you. For more help and info comment on the below box and subscribe to our Newsletter. Enjoy Echoing!