Apple Pay is a “digital wallet” for Apple devices like iPhone and Apple Watch. With this function, you can make mobile payments with your device without having to take out a wallet, wallet, credit cards or cash.
There are some competing mobile payment systems – notably Google Pay and Samsung Pay for Android devices – but Apple Pay is now widespread and is accepted by around three-quarters of the leading U.S. retailers. Soon you can even take the New York subway with Apple Pay.
Do you want to use Apple Pay on your phone and keep your wallet in your pocket? Here’s how to how to set up apple pay and use it.
How to set up Apple Pay on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch
How to Set up Apple Pay On the iPhone or iPad:
- Go to Settings> Wallet & Apple Pay> Add credit or debit card.
- If a compatible card is already stored in your iTunes & App Store account, iOS automatically recommends adding it to Apple Pay. Otherwise, you must either take a snapshot of your card or enter it manually.
- Depending on your bank, you may have to confirm by phone, SMS or email. Most major banks will send you an SMS verification code, others may require you to call the bank to verify your identity. Depending on the bank, this process can take an instant or sometimes several days.
- Once the review is complete, you’re done! Now you can tap your iPhone in any store, restaurant, or gas station that accepts contactless payments, uses it in apps or on the web, or sends/receives money from friends or family through iMessage.
How to Set up Apple Pay On the Apple Watch:
- The Apple Watch is similar to an iPhone or iPad. Go to the Watch app on your iPhone> Wallet and Apple Pay> Add credit or debit card. If you have already set up your cards on your iPhone, this is a no-brainer as all information is usually retrieved from your iPhone and only the CVV code has to be entered.
- However, when you add maps to your iPhone or Apple Watch for the first time, you either have to take a snapshot of your map with your iPhone’s camera or enter it manually.
- Depending on the bank, you have to confirm by phone, SMS or email. Most major banks will send you an SMS verification code, others may require you to call the bank to verify your identity. Depending on the bank, this process can take an instant or sometimes several days.
- Once the review is complete, you’re done! Now you can get your Apple Pay at any store, restaurant, or gas station that accepts contactless payments uses it in apps or on the web or sends/receives money from friends or family through iMessage. Note that you don’t need a pairing with your iPhone or an internet connection for Apple Pay to work on your Apple Watch.
- To start Apple Pay, you need to tap the side button twice (the one that isn’t the crown).
How to add an Apple Pay card
- Start the Wallet app from your home screen.
- Tap the + button. It should be in the top right corner of your screen.
- On the Apple Pay screen, tap Next or Next.
- Enter your credit or debit card information manually or scan it with the camera.
- On the Map Details screen, tap Next.
- Enter the card expiration date and security code manually.
- Tap on Next
- Tap Agree
- Tap Next after choosing your verification method.
- Tap Enter Code.
- Enter the verification code you received. Depending on the verification method, this can be an email, a text or a call.
- Tap on Next
- Tap Done
If you ever want to add more credit or debit cards, you can simply repeat these steps.
Note: Apple Pay photo recognition only works with embossed numbers. If you have a flat number credit or debit card, you will need to enter it manually.
How to authorize a card for Apple Pay
Different banks have different procedures for authorizing cards for Apple Pay.
- By the way, Citibank and American Express require an activation code. To get it, the bank will call, email or text the number you have on file.
- If your bank has a mobile banking app, you may be able to launch the app to authorize your card.
• Start a new conversation under Messages or tap an existing one.
• Tap. If you don’t see the Apple Pay button, tap first.
• To select an amount, tap or. To enter an exact amount, tap Show keyboard.
• Touch Pay.
• To send the payment, confirm with Face ID, Touch ID or your passcode.
No, there are no fees for sending or receiving money, but the program can cost you depending on how you top up your account. Linking your account to a debit card is free, but there is a 3% charge when you top up your account with a credit card.
Add money to Apple Cash
1. Go to your card info: iPhone: Open the Wallet app, tap your Apple Cash card.
2. On the Info tab, tap Add Money.
3. Enter an amount. The minimum is $10.
4. Tap Add, then confirm the U.S. debit or prepaid card2 that you want to use to add money. …
5. When you’re ready, confirm with Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode.
The good news is that Apple Pay is significantly more secure than a magnetic stripe credit card and also offers advantages over cards with an embedded chip. First, theft prevention is integrated. A typical thief cannot use Apple Pay from your device because it doesn’t provide your fingerprint or Apple Watch passcode.