Since its launch in 2012, Uber is the most recognized alternative to traditional taxis. Uber is available in more than 700 cities around the world, and this number will only increase. Whether you are traveling to Seattle, Dubai, Tokyo, London, Paris, Montreal, Chicago or any other major metro center, you can expect Uber rides to be available.
- Visit the Uber website to see if Uber is in your city or in a city you want to visit.
Uber is not a taxi service. Drivers can’t t pick up riders from the road. Instead, Uber is a rental car service that relies on smartphone technology to dispatch drivers and manage fees.
In contrast to taxi services, Uber drivers do not have special driver’s licenses. Rather, they use their private vehicles to offer rides at discounted prices.
The smartphone app from Uber takes care of the entire collection and payment process. Use your credit or debit card to pay directly in the app, without the need for cash.
You must be at least 18 years old to have an Uber account and to use the service. In the US, Uber drivers must be at least 21 years old, have at least 1 year of driving experience, and have an acceptable four-door vehicle.
- Uber is designed so that the driver does not have to carry cash with him. However, you can tip with cash if you do not want to add the tip through the app.
Uber is a hailstorm company that offers the mobile Uber app that lets you send a travel request that is automatically sent to a Uber driver in your area to alert the driver to your location. The accepting Uber driver picks you up and drives you to your desired destination.
The Uber app automatically determines the driver’s navigation route, calculates the distance and fare, and transfers the payment from the selected payment method to the driver without you having to say a word or grab your wallet.
Here you will find everything you need to know about Uber, including how it works, how to log in, and how to use it.
What is Uber and how does it work?
Uber should be easier than a taxi. This is how does the Uber process works.
- BEFORE USING UBER
You must install the app on your Smartphone and create an online Uber account. You provide information about the credit card you want to use to pay for the trips, so you never have to take cash or handle cash.
- WHEN YOU NEED A RIDE
If you need a ride, tell Uber your pickup location using the app. You can choose from a variety of driving options. The most common is UberX. Alternatively, you can choose Uber Pool if you’re ready to share the ride and save some money. (More about Uber Ride Tiers below.)
Uber finds drivers in your area, finds a driver for you and tells you how many minutes your driver has left. Rides are usually three to 10 minutes away in the main centers.
Uber notifies you when the journey has arrived. The Uber app shows you the details of the driver, e.g. Name, photo, and vehicle type so you know what to look for.
- DURING AND AFTER DRIVING
Enjoy your ride. The app handles the payment. Just get out of the car when you arrive at your destination and thank your driver. You will be asked via the app to rate your driver on a scale of 1 to 5 (courtesy, safety, cleanliness). Likewise, the driver rates you from 1 to 5 (courtesy). You have the option to add a tip.
The entire journey is tracked via the Uber App to ensure accountability and ease of use.
Why people love Uber
Uber’s appeal is about three times that of price, quality and convenience.
Taxi drivers hate Uber because Uber undercuts their fees by up to 50 percent, but of course that’s one reason why riders love Uber. In addition, Uber drivers do not need tips and can’t put pressure on you.
As mentioned earlier, you can add them later in the app. By contrast, taxi drivers usually expect a tip of at least 15 percent at the time of payment. You can also use the Uber Pass, which is essentially a subscription to Uber, which gives you discounted rides.
However, keep in mind that Uber sets price increases for peak events such as major sporting events, holidays such as New Year’s Eve and even busy weekend evenings. Fees can rise significantly for a few hours. Uber rides are usually cheaper than taxis.
Uber cars are usually cleaner, newer and smelling better than many taxis. The responsibility built into the Uber app motivates drivers to keep their cars in good condition. As Uber drivers are rated by every passenger every day, there is an incentive to be fast and safe.
The payment process is simple and stress-free. Likewise, the app frees you from the often frustrating process of calling a taxi. The ability to process all these details directly from your phone saves you time and hassles (and reduces the hassle for businesses and drivers).
Since Uber is attractive for riders to join, the number of riders available usually results in very fast response times. While this certainly varies, the typical Uber driver will be picked up within three to ten minutes of calling, while taxis may need 30 to 45 minutes after calling.
- Service levels
- Uber offers a range of service levels, from individual drivers and groups to executive limousine services.
- UberX is the cheapest and most used form of Uber. Vehicles are ordinary four-door models that can accommodate up to four riders. In large cities, the fare costs about half of the taxi fare.
- With the Uber Pool offered in some cities, you can share your trip with another person and share the cost. UberXL can accommodate six passengers with an SUV or minivan. It is more expensive than UberX.
- Uber Comfort is for drivers who are constantly on the move and want a little more comfort.
- Uber’s world-class services include Uber Black, luxury driving with professional drivers and Uber Black SUV, which offers luxury cruises for six.
- In some cities, Uber even offers Uber Espanol for Spanish-speaking drivers, Uber Assist if a driver needs extra help, and Uber Wav for wheelchair-accessible travel.
- Driver and passenger ratings
- Part of Uber’s appeal is that drivers are under tremendous pressure to provide passengers with comfortable, safe, fast and clean experiences.
- Each passenger rates each driver on each trip, and the driver must receive an average customer rating of 4.6 out of 5.0. (Minimums vary by city.) Uber disables drivers who fall below this standard.
- Uber does not pass this on directly to the passengers, but each driver receives their rating when deciding whether to pick you up. And yes, every driver rates you directly after leaving the Uber vehicle at the drop off point.
This is to defend future drivers from having to deal with rude, violent, aggressive and drunk / messed up passengers. If your rating is too low, Uber may prevent you from using the service temporarily or permanently.
To promote a friendlier and gentler behavior of Uber drivers (do not slam doors!), Display the app directly under the name in the Uber App menu.
Becoming an Uber Driver
In big cities, taxi drivers pay $ 500 to $ 1,200 a month to their parent companies and communities. These costs include the shipping and administration services and any additional fees that the taxi company charges its drivers.
Uber does not charge his drivers any of these monthly fees, which makes Uber very attractive to amateur drivers. Uber requires drivers:
- Are at least 21 years old
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience (three if you are less than 23 years old)
- Possess a clean driving record
- Have no criminal record
- Drive an insured car that is less than 15 years old
Your car must:
- Have a clean title (not salvaged, reconstructed, or rebuilt)
- Not be a rental, unless it’s from an approved Uber lender
- Not have damage, missing pieces, commercial branding, or taxi signage
Uber will confirm all these details with the relevant authorities. Uber also conducts a background check to investigate serious violations such as excessive speeding, drunk driving, sex offenses and other crimes.
In short, if you’re an honest person, a safe driver and a reliable worker with a newer four-door car, you can be an Uber driver within two weeks.
It is relatively easy and inexpensive to become an Uber driver
Where is Uber available?
Uber is available in over 700 cities worldwide. On this Uber website you can see if it is available in your city.
How does Uber work for drivers?
Download the Uber Mobile App first and register as a driver. As soon as you sign up for Uber, everything is done through the app. No cash is exchanged between you and the Uber driver, so you do not have to worry if you have enough cash to get where you need to be.
Instead, the payment method you set when you sign up for Uber will be used to automatically pay your Uber driver after completing a trip. This can be a credit card, debit card, Paypal, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Send a travel request
- Open Uber on your mobile device.
- Under “Where to?” type where you want to go. Box Art the top of the app.
- Select a ride mode by tapping any of the following options next to which a price estimate is to be displayed: UberX, UberXL, UberBLACK, UberTAXI, UberSUV, UberLUX, UberPOOL, or Assist. Depending on location, time, and availability, some or may appear all of these options are displayed.
- Select the payment method you want to use. The payment method is below the driving modes and your default option is automatically selected. However, you can change it when you tap it.
- Touch the Confirm UberX button (or the driving mode you selected) at the bottom of the Driving Options screen.
- You will then be asked to confirm your pickup location. Make sure the location of your phone is correct. Press Confirm pickup. It may take a few seconds or minutes for Uber to find a driver nearby.
- Once Uber has found a match, you will be taken to a screen where you can get your driver on a map and see the driver’s ETA. This screen also shows the name of the driver, the license plate, the photo, the rating and a temporary replacement number for the contact.
Cancel your trip
Sometimes you might want to cancel a trip. With the Uber app, you can do this two to five minutes after submitting a request. Depending on the city, however, a cancellation fee may be charged.
Follow your journey
- When the driver has arrived and noted in his own app that you have entered the vehicle, a new map screen is displayed. You can use this to track your journey. You can also tap Send Status on the map screen to share your ETA in real time with others so your contacts know you’re safe.
- When you arrive at your destination, the driver will notice in their app that the journey is complete, and your app will automatically process the payment using the payment option stored on your account.
- You can view past trips by tapping the three lines in the upper-right corner of the Uber app and then tapping your trips.
Rate your driver
When your trip ends, the Uber app asks you to rate your driver from one to five stars (five being the highest). This rating affects the driver’s current overall rating, which is displayed to all drivers, so you can either recommend or warn the driver.
You can also tip and give your driver a compliment by tapping one of the preset options, such as: B. “Excellent service”.
What do the different Uber cars mean?
Uber offers a variety of driving options, including the option of requesting a luxury car, sharing the fare with another driver, or traveling in a specific escort vehicle. Here are definitions for the most commonly available driving options.
- UberX: An everyday car for up to four drivers
- UberXL: An everyday car for up to six drivers
- UberBLACK: A high-end sedan for up to four riders
- UberTAXI: A partner taxi for up to four drivers
- UberSUV: An SUV for up to six drivers
- UberLUX: A luxury car in a class of its own for up to four drivers
- UberPOOL: Share your ride with other drivers and you automatically receive a guaranteed split fare
- Assist: A UberX option that provides extra support for seniors and people with disabilities
What other features does Uber offer to drivers?
Apart from the fact that the driver can request a trip, the Uber App offers various other functions.
- Since May 2019, the Uber App has provided information on public transport in London. For example, drivers can check if there is an alternative way home. This is particularly useful if prices in the region you are in are increasing due to increased demand.
- It is also possible to add work and home addresses, as well as other saved locations, to your Uber account. For example, the hotel where you spend your holidays. That way, you can choose the option “Where to?” Goal easier.
- You can also include “Trusted Contacts” to your Uber account. Once a person is set up as a trusted contact, you can share your travel status with a single tap. It’s also possible to add a family member to your account to share your default payment method so you can pay for your loved ones to use Uber.
- Tariff sharing is also a feature in the Uber app that lets you split the tariff among the people you travel with. A contact must accept Split Fare with you before this happens, and you will be charged a small fee.
- There are other features we have not covered, including the Quiet Mode for UberBlack and UberSUV riders in the US and Uber Jump e-bikes. About Uber Jump E-bikes, you can read in our separate story, where they are available and how much they cost.
How do you become Uber driver?
If you would rather be a driver than a driver, visit this Uber website to register as a driver (for free). You must be 21 years old, have at least 1 year of driving experience, have a valid driver’s license with vehicle registration and insurance and access to a qualifying 4- or 6-door vehicle. After registration, your driving data and your criminal record will be checked by Uber.
- Driver app
Uber gives his drivers access to a specific app. With this app you can decide how, where and when you want to earn. If you want to drive, open the app and tap Go Online.
You can track your earnings, decide when you want to get paid (end of a car ride, etc.), track profitable hotspots, minimize downtime, gain access to turn-by-turn navigation instructions, and use the rating system to help drivers decide You are the best driver for you.
- Independent contractor
All Uber drivers can be paid weekly and travel anywhere they want to go. You do not need to report to an office or direct supervisor, but you must drive your own personal car or at least lease / hire one from a Uber partner.
Uber drivers are considered independent contractors, meaning that taxes, working hours, wages, overtime, etc. are treated differently by different political jurisdictions worldwide.
All UberBLACK, UberSUV and UberTAXI rides are offered by commercially licensed and insured partners and drivers. These carriers are commercially insured in accordance with local and state requirements.
Uber also said it offers liability insurance for US drivers who work with their existing personal insurance coverage. Find out more on this Uber website.
Are there any alternatives to Uber?
There are several carpools in the app stores, but the most famous one besides Uber is probably Lyft. All of these apps work almost identical, though they can offer some unique features.
We have a separate Uber Alternatives feature for those in London who you can read here.
First Time Riding Uber? Here Are Some Helpful Tips.
I enjoy using Uber and riding. It’s fast, easy and much cleaner and cheaper than taxis. Uber is part of the sharing economy and monitors itself. It uses a system where passengers and drivers rate each other on a scale of one to five. All billing is by credit card and no cash changes between driver and front passenger. But, as I found out this week by talking to those who did not use the service, it can be a bit daunting. Here are some Uber user tips for the first time.
- Make sure you’re ready
Most people are accustomed to calling the local taxi company and arranging pick-up at a specified time or applying for it as quickly as possible. The request “as soon as possible” can take between 20 and 60 minutes.
- This is not the case with Uber, on average Uber only needs seven minutes to pick you up. It’s a real on-demand service. If you let your driver wait, the driver may give you a lower passenger rating.
- One thing I do is keep track of the estimated Uber app pickup time, starting one hour before I need a ride. If the ride is for four or more people, request an extra large Uber XL vehicle. This is the policy of Uber.
- Make it easy for your driver to find you
It is very frustrating to find someone you have never met, especially at the airport. This also applies to your Uber driver. If you are at the pick-up point of an airport or convention center, walk one or two blocks away from the crowd before requesting a ride.
I also like to give the driver a short description of what I am wearing and doing. For example, I am dressed in black and sitting on the wall or sitting in front of the Holiday-Inn Hotel. Your driver will appreciate this additional information.
- Send your destination address from your Uber app.
Your driver and Uber need to know where you are going. Unlike taxes, the Uber system relies on GPS. If you enter your destination address in advance, the drivers will have an idea of how far they have to go before accepting your driving request. Uber also uses this information to estimate your trade show. When you are picked up, the driver already has your destination address in the GPS and can get started.
- Check the name and license plate before boarding.
Most drivers do not display the Uber sign on their windshield. You should always check the license plate of the vehicle before you get into the app of your mobile phone. Also greet your driver by name. That way, you’re sure it’s your Uber ride and you do not jump into a stranger’s car. Your driver should also greet you with your name.
- Nervous because of a pickup
Most of us have heard the news that unscrupulous Uber & Taxi drivers drove to your home after a delivery at the airport to rob you. Although this type of robbery is very rare, the news media likes to make a big deal with the Uber raids.
- It’s almost as if they have a certain grudge against Uber. So it is not surprising that a home pickup makes some Uber users a bit nervous for the first time. I was first!
- If you fear picking up from home, request a pick up at the top of the road. One of the great things about the Uber app is that it uses GPS as a pickup location and does not need a physical address.
- You can also move the pin on the map in advance to the desired pickup location. This will save you a bit of waiting on the street corner.
- Remember to be nice
Both drivers and passengers rate each other. Motorists try to be as nice as possible, as they want a good star rating to stay on Uber. You should always be as nice as possible. Be friendly and thank your driver for the pickup and drive. Only complain when it comes to the weather, and be patient in heavy traffic. Also avoid talking about politics and religion, as most people are very interested in these topics, which can lead to heated arguments.
- If you can, leave a small tip
Uber does not ask you to leave a tip. But I want to tip my driver a bit, especially if he is very friendly and helps me to load my luggage out of the car and unload. I’m not giving them a big tip, but big enough for a cup of coffee or lemonade from Mickey D. This shows that you’re getting a bit more appreciation, and this contributes significantly to your star rating.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke while driving
Uber drivers have their personal vehicles, take first-class care of them and keep them clean. It’s not a big deal to keep the exterior of a car clean. But cleaning mustard and ketchup stains on the inside is expensive and costs $60 or more. Keep your driver’s car clean and smell fresh by not eating, drinking or smoking while driving.
- Let the driver do the navigation
Let’s face it, none of us likes back seat drivers, including your Uber driver. Your driver may not know the area in which he is driving, but he is certainly used to using a navigation system. Do not tell your driver which road to take, unless your driver asks for directions or you are less than 1 mile from your home. You could also learn a new route home
- After the trip
At the end of each ride, the passenger and driver rate themselves on a scale of one to five. If your passenger ratings are too low, you do not want to pick up the drivers. Worse, Uber could throw you out of the system. At the end of each ride, the Uber app will ask for feedback on your driver. Unless I’m driving with a stinking old drunk who drives an old pickup and spills oil and has to throw out a pile of garbage to make room for me, I like to leave five stars. In the comments I always thank you for the ride.
If you have not used Uber before, or only once or twice, the following tips will make for a good driving experience. You will also increasingly rely on Uber saving you money.
What is UberEATS?
Uber has teamed up with restaurants in selected cities to provide grocery delivery where you can order anything from a list of local food stalls and have them delivered to you within 35 minutes.
This paid service is called UberEATS and has its own mobile Android and iOS app. UberEATS, which also hires drivers, is available in over a dozen major US cities and continues to expand.
Uber’s success has led to similar services as Lyft, Curb and Sidecar, but Uber remains the most popular. In fact, Uber is so commonplace that expressions like “being over” and “Ubering” are commonplace in different languages.