Kodi is an old candidate in the video streaming game and it is still strong. Kodi is an open-source Home Entertainment Media (XBMC) software that lets you stream video across multiple platforms.
Kodi is absolutely free software for everyone and you can literally install Kodi on any device. You can install Kodi on Roku, on Windows PCs, Android smartphones/tablets, Android TV boxes, Amazon Firestick / Firetv, Linux and other operating systems.
With third-party Kodi add-ons, you can stream movies, TV shows, and even LIVE TVs for free on any streaming platform. This “free” thing is good for the user end, but for government and copyright owners it is a big pain and will always be the pain. For this reason, the government and claimants are taking legal action against Kodi developers and users.
Need a Free VPN for Kodi?
Kodi is indeed great software because you can install all the necessary add-ons yourself and stream content anytime, anywhere. Know that when using Kodi you are always open to legal authorities. Your ISP may also file a complaint against you if you stream copyrighted material with Kodi.
- In addition, hackers are always active through Kodi add-ons.
If you are a Kodi user, this is a concern for you, because your privacy and security are always open to unknown identities over the network. For this reason, it is always recommended to use a Virtual Private Network or VPN when accessing Kodi or something that requires an extra layer of security. Here are some reasons why you need a VPN:
We use the Internet provided by an Internet Service Provider, we call it ISP or Internet Service Provider. These are the networks we use for the Internet.
When you surf the Internet, this ISP keeps track of everything you do on the Internet so that it knows which site or videos you’ve viewed at a particular time and at a specific time.
Do you really want someone to spy on you? Obviously not. This is ensured by a VPN. A good VPN service keeps the spy away from you.
There is content that can only be accessed in specific locations. There are TV programs, videos, and websites that are only available in Asian countries, for example. This means that a person in the US can’t access this content.
- A VPN breaks through the geolocation barrier and with VPN you can access everything from anywhere without a geolocation barrier.
The government of different regions has political and social obligations that it has to fulfill. In all this, sometimes the Internet is affected and certain content may be blocked over the Internet. However,
- no one can control your Internet access over a VPN.
P2P Sharing and Torrenting
While using torrents, your IP address is visible to anyone downloading the torrent file.
- Hide your IP address from all users via a VPN.
These are the main reasons why you need a VPN for Kodi and how a VPN can protect your online privacy from anonymous identities.
What is a VPN?
- With VPN or Virtual Private Network, you can connect to the Internet through a private network.
- It’s more like a tunnel where only you can drive your car, so there is almost no risk of an accident.
- While using a VPN, you can access a public network or Internet over a private network, where you can protect your connection from hackers and unwanted people by hiding your real IP address.
- VPN also helps to access geographically restricted content with the utmost security via a virtual IP of the country you have selected.
When using Kodi over VPN, no one can tell if it’s your ISP or claim holder.
- Using Kodi with VPN is the only and most reliable way to use Kodi without legal violations.
Now there are paid VPNs and free VPN. Free VPNs are better than nothing, but they will never offer you the features that paid VPNs offer.
First, check out a free VPN for Kodi that you can use to securely access Kodi. Also, keep in mind that there is no free VPN that gives you the best possible security for your Internet connection.
These VPNs give you free trials that can last up to 7 days and only a few megabytes. Ultimately, if you really want to protect your online identity, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid plan.
In addition to these free VPNs for Kodi, there are other VPNs that you can choose to protect your privacy over the network. Test the best VPN to ensure your security on the Internet.
Free VPN for Kodi
I’m not going to mislead you hereby making you false promises for providing free VPN, as there is no free VPN service on the market. There are VPNs that offer a limited-cost free VPN service for a limited time, but a complete VPN service that will allow you to enjoy your security over the vast Internet or the Internet without paying a penny sometime soon.
Remember to remember – VPN is a service and services are never free.
Here I am short-listing 10 Free VPN for Kodi in 2020. They are free for a limited time with limited features. To fully access VPN, you must update to a paid VPN plan.
When it comes to free VPN for Kodi, Tunnel Bear is the first name you think of first.
- TunnelBear is one of those free Kodi VPNs that gives you access to server locations in all countries.
- You can select the servers of any country and that too for free. Like the paid VPNs, TunnelBear has a no-logging policy.
- TunnelBear never takes into account what you access over the Internet. You also get the kill switch to end the VPN connection with one click.
- If you’re a torrent user looking for a VPN that supports P2P, TunnelBear is not for you. In addition, the free TunnelBear has only a limit of 500 MB per month (as I told you, the thing with the limited features), which is not practical for Kodi users. I lost 87 MB watching 6 minutes of video on Youtube with 720P.
- Streaming a TV show on Kodi with TunnelBear will not do the job. To continue using it, you have to do some social sharing. However, you can convert your free plan to a paid plan for unlimited use.
For security reasons, TunnelBear is a great VPN, and you can upgrade to a paid plan that gives you full access to TunnelBear.
CyberGhost is another VPN for Kodi. Designed for Kodi users, CyberGhost VPN is a great experience with the free Kodi VPN. CyberGhost also claims that your Internet connection is encrypted with 256-AES-bit technology and it will take thousands of years for the hacker to steal your data.
- Cyberghost has more than 3700 servers in more than 55 countries (including Thailand, which is missing in most VPN services). Cyberghost VPN also follows the No Log policy, which allows you to access everything on the Internet with the utmost privacy.
You will be provided with different modes in which you can surf anonymously, unblock streaming (to stream limited TV shows and videos) and select torrent anonymously.
- The whole interface is so intuitive and even better with the recent update of the Cyberghost VPN interface. There are several options that allow you to select servers according to your needs. There are options for streaming, torrenting and spy server.
- If you want to stream Netflix from another country, you can choose to stream and watch your favorite Netflix series from anywhere in the world. If you want to stream Kodi, also choose a streaming server and stream it immediately.
- You can download Cyberghost VPN on Android, iOS, Mac OS, Windows, Firestick, Android TV and Linux. There is also Google Chrome and Firefox extension for the fast VPN connection. With a Cyberghost VPN subscription, you can protect 7 devices at the same time.
You get the free trial for 24 hours and then have to pay for Cyberghost VPN. You can get Cyberghost VPN at just $ 2.75 / month from here.
- The customer service of the Cyberghost VPN is commendable. You get 24 * 7 tech support. It is absolutely worth the price. In fact, Cyberghost VPN is one of the best Kodi VPNs you can get right now.
- Download CyberGhost
Here is the world’s most trusted VPN for Kodi and Firestick. ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 VPN servers optimized for a fast and smooth connection with unlimited bandwidth and without limitation. ExpressVPN can be downloaded on almost any operating system. It’s really easy to access ExpressVPN on Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, and iOS. You can also download ExpressVPN to the router to encrypt the connection of all your devices. Installing a VPN on the router is probably the best idea to protect all devices at the same time. Installing ExpressVPN on Firestick is a very simple task. Just go to the App Store and download the ExpressVPN app.
With ExpressVPN, you can stream almost any censored/blocked website or app from anywhere in the world. ExpressVPN also enables P2P sharing, which allows you to use torrents and another P2P sharing platform anonymously.
With ExpressVPN, you can protect yourself against hacking and monitoring with 256-bit AES encryption and DNS / IPv6 leak protection. ExpressVPN is also equipped with a kill switch and split tunneling. ExpressVPN also ensures your privacy and therefore there is no logging policy in which your activity has never been logged. You can access everything with complete privacy.
With a single ExpressVPN plan, you can protect a maximum of 3 devices. You can also test ExpressVPN for 30 days without paying a single penny.
Hide My Ass is one of the most popular and reliable VPNs for Kodi and other streaming apps. HideMyAss has a feature called IP Stickiness that allows you to stream US and UK broadcasts without interruption. Under IP Stickiness, HMA gives you an IP that rarely changes as you watch your favorite shows in the US or UK. For this reason, no disturbances occur.
- Hide My Ass is one of the few VPNs that does not affect browsing speed, giving you smooth browsing and streaming experience.
- Hide My Ass has more than 880 servers at over 190 locations in different countries, so you do not have to worry about server availability or downtime.
- Recently, HideMyAss has added new IPs and improved existing servers in places such as Dublin, Melbourne, Amsterdam, Seoul, Los Angeles, Prague, and Moscow.
- HMA is available in 12 languages, making the user interface and user experience even better.
- HideMyAss also uses OpenVPN 2.4 on Android. This means that the protocol is faster and safer, the connection time is faster and the connection is more stable on your Android smartphone, tablets and TV. In the HideMyAss Windows app, you can change location or connect to another location with just one click.
- Hide My Ass App is available for Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS. You can find 3 modes on all platforms, be it Android, Windows, iOS or macOS.
- Immediate mode instantly connects you to a random server of over 880 servers. In site mode, you can choose your preferred location from over 190 country locations.
- You can also mark your favorite locations for faster access. The last mode is freedom mode. HMA says, “Access the Internet through the nearest country with freedom of expression.” That is, you will be connected to the nearest country’s server to access web content that may be restricted in your country.
- When you purchase the HideMyAss subscription, you not only acquire a VPN subscription, but also the No Peeking HMA commitment. HMA says, “We’re going to make you virtually untraceable, that no one can track what you’re doing-even your ISP.” That means you can surf privately. Very easily. “That means you can use Kodi anonymously without spoofing. HMA is undoubtedly one of the best VPNs for Kodi.
- You do not have to believe me or anyone. You should use HideMyAss before you buy it. Yes, HideMyAss offers you a free 7-day trial, in which you can fully test HideMyAss VPN without paying a penny. That means $ 0 at checkout.
This is the obligation of a reliable VPN service provider.
After the 7-day trial, you can purchase the HideMyAss subscription. HideMyAss also offers you a 30-day money-back guarantee, another great thing for any VPN user.
The above VPNs are absolutely free VPNs for Kodi, but with limited use. Ultimately, if you want to use Kodi and other limited content without any legal violations, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid plan. Here is IPVanish for you, which is the best VPN for Kodi since 2018 and still in 2020. Here is the reason.
- IPVanish is an award-winning T3 Awards VPN in the Best VPN category. IPVanish was developed for Kodi because it has an automatic IP address cycle that allows your IP addresses to change automatically without disrupting the secure connection.
- The IPVanishVPN has more than 850 anonymous servers in more than 60 countries, so you do not have to worry about server availability or usage. IPVanish supports besides Kodi also P2P, which is perfect for torrenting.
- Recently, IPVanish updated the service, and now you can access IPVanish VPN on 10 multiple devices simultaneously with a single subscription. No other VPN service provides simultaneous access to 10 multiple devices. That’s why IPVanish is a leading VPN in the industry.
If you’re looking for a complete proofing solution to store your online identity, there’s nothing like IPVanish. Get the best VPN for Kodi here. If you have no idea about VPNs and their services, choose IPVanish. IPVanish gives you everything you need to protect your online identity.
Here we have the dedicated VPN for Kodi. The over 450 servers of the Ivacy VPN at more than 100 locations are optimized for streaming purposes. Apart from that, Ivacy VPN has a very strict no-logging policy in which the VPN service provider never logs the user’s traffic data. This is the best example of online privacy.
If you are a torrent user, you can safely receive the Ivacy VPN because Ivacy VPN brilliantly supports the P2P connection. Ivacy’s military encryption ensures your privacy over the network and you can access the network without worry.
Ivacy VPN even gives you an encrypted connection while connected to a public network. Public WLAN is the easy prey for hackers and attackers, but Ivacy VPN guarantees your privacy in public networks as well. All of these features must be included in an expensive subscription. Law? No, that’s not the case.
- Ivacy is indeed one of the best VPNs, and for Kodi users, this is your VPN.
PureVPN is a robust VPN service that encrypts your Internet connection, providing you with an added layer of security.
PureVPN is one of the few VPN services that offer you an excellent VPN service without slowing down your device. I mean, no other VPN does that, but PureVPN will be very easy on your device.
PureVPN offers you 5 modes: stream, Internet freedom, dedicated IP, security/privacy, file sharing. The good thing is that modes actually make a difference.
- If you are in streaming, select the stream mode and enjoy the stream without buffering. With PureVPN, you access the Internet through a secure tunnel that no hacker, advertiser, or anonymous party can track down your connection.
- PureVPN also offers software for routers. So, if you have more than 1 device on which you want extra protection from PureVPN, installing the PureVPN software on the main router is a smart choice.
- You get the option Kill-switch in PureVPN, with which you can end the VPN connection with one click. In addition, PureVPN also offers a split tunneling option, where you can choose a specific app that uses VPN, and other apps use the actual IP.
- If you use Kodi on Windows, you can select Kodi to use VPN while other apps and programs are running on the actual IP address. They receive almost all the locations of planet earth.
- You can either select a country or a specific city to connect the IP of that region. One more thing: If you need a VPN for both Kodi and Torrenting, PureVPN is for you. It offers P2P sharing.
- The PureVPN client is available for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. Apart from that, there is a huge list of devices that are compatible with PureVPN.
- PureVPN offers a 7-day money-back guarantee. Just take the 2-year plan, which is now available for just 2.48 USD / month for 2 years and is a great deal. If you do not like the service, you will get your money back within 7 days (you will definitely love it)).
Here is another VPN for Kodi. VPN Unlimited is a household name in the VPN world, and there is no VPN like VPN Unlimited because it offers you a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for $ 149. This means you only pay $ 149 once and get the lifetime (100 years) of the VPN subscription.
- This is one of the best VPNs for Kodi. If you use Kodi over Unlimited VPN, you do not have to worry about your privacy and security, as the OpenVPN protocol is used on Android and Windows and IPsec IKEv1 on macOS and iOS.
- VPN Unlimited has more than 1000 high-speed servers in over 70 countries. You can choose between both without speed fluctuations.
In a VPN Unlimited subscription, you can use 5 devices, which means you get one free and 4 devices for free. The VPN Unlimited Infinity Plan is worth considering if you are looking for a permanent solution for Internet security.
- Infinity Plan gives you a lifetime subscription for $ 149. Do not worry, VPN Unlimited offers a 7-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN offers a network of more than 4,500 servers in over 60 countries. Many of them can unlock geo-locked streaming services like BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Netflix. Android users without Google Play can download the APK file directly from the NordVPN website. NordVPN can be configured manually using various protocols.
The company uses 256-bit encryption and follows a strict null protocol policy. The speeds are decent and the connections are reliable. The standard card interface may not be suitable for users who operate Kodi with remote control. You can, however, switch to the list of available servers.
App is available on – Windows, macOS, iOS and Android.
- Works brilliantly with Kodi and can unclog most popular streaming sites such as Netflix.
- Great value with good streaming speeds
- Offers secure, encrypted connections at all times
- Strict no-logs policy ideal for privacy-conscious users
- The desktop app is a little cumbersome and takes some getting used to
- Unable to pick personal servers, can only pick their locations
GREAT VALUE: NordVPN is a first-class budget all-rounder that works smartly with Kodi. Strong security features and space for up to 6 devices. In the app, the user can not select the server.
- Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is a small provider that is causing a sensation with its ability to unlock pretty much anything you can throw at it, including BBC iPlayer and Netflix. As a relative novice, it does not have a large number of servers, but they are spread over a large number of countries and offer rapid speeds. Security and logging policies are what you expect from a much larger provider, so you can rest assured that your ISP and hackers cannot track your activity.
Android users can download the APK file directly from the PrivateVPN website. There is no app for Linux yet, but a manual configuration is an option.
The app is available on – Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- No problems with Kodi devices
- Strong security features and solid privacy
- Unblock Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Does not hold any logs at all
- Does not have 24/7 live chat
- There are fewer servers available than other providers on this list
- Must be manually adjusted to work in China
GREAT SPEEDS: PrivateVPN is a great choice for families. Works well with Kodi. Supports up to 6 devices in the same account. Achieve fast connections. It could be dealing with a larger selection of servers.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Free VPN For Kodi: Conclusion
These are some of the best free VPNs for Kodi. These VPNs allow you to access Kodi and other geographically restricted content via a secure Internet connection. If you have no idea which VPN to select, choose either IPVanish or PureVPN.
There is no free VPN for Kodi on the market, as all free VPNs offer limited protection with some restrictions that never fulfill the purpose.
We live in a digital age where every electronic device, from the car to our fridge, is connected to the Internet and security is a primary concern for us. Ignoring online security can cost us more than the cost of a VPN. VPN is a service and the price of this service will never be higher than your online privacy.
For this reason, it is always recommended to prefer a paid and reliable VPN when accessing the Internet. You never know that the person sitting next to your table at Starbucks already knows your passwords and credit card details. You can check other VPN services for more useful options for securing your Internet connection.
Advantages of using a VPN
Using a VPN service provides the following benefits:
- Prevents your Internet Service Provider (ISP) from seeing what you are doing on the Internet
This also makes it very good to prevent blanket state surveillance by the NSA.
Additionally, websites cannot display your actual IP address or ISP.
- You only see the IP address of the VPN server, which is commonly shared by many VPN users to further protect each individual user.
However, unlike ISPs, trusted VPN services do not store this information in logs for later retrieval.
- In fact, many privacy-oriented VPN services are continuing, and it is also important to delete all metadata connection protocols that may indirectly link customers to their activities on the Internet.
- Prevents websites from seeing your IP address
Your Internet Protocol address or IP address is the way you are identified online.
- Using a VPN replaces it with the IP address of your VPN provider, which makes it harder for sites to identify you.
- This helps to protect your privacy while surfing the Internet.
- It also makes it harder for advertisers to engage you in advertising.
- Defeat the censorship
With a VPN you can bypass censorship, be it through a repressive regime or through your college or office WiFi administrators.
Connecting to a VPN allows you to access blocked websites by simply connecting to a VPN server that is in a location where the content is not censored.
- Provides access to streaming services such as Netflix
- With a VPN, you can access foreign streaming services that are blocked in your country, no matter where you are. Just connect to a VPN server in the country and you’re on the Internet!
- For example, if you connect to a VPN server in the United States, you can unblock US Netflix content. The American version of the service offers more TV shows and movies than any other Netflix catalog in other countries.
- You can also use a VPN to unblock Youtube videos by bypassing regional restrictions by acting as if you are in a country where the video is available.
- If you’re connecting to a VPN server in the UK, you can watch BBC iPlayer abroad for free.
- Protects you from both hackers
How do you know that Wi-Fi is secure in your local café? Answer … you do not. This is true everywhere for free public Wi-Fi. And using insecure Wi-Fi is an open invitation for criminal hackers to steal your sensitive information.
- A VPN protects you from using all types of public WLAN because your data is securely encrypted.
- Protects you during P2P torrenting
If you use a VPN for torrenting, your real IP address is protected from peers that download the same torrents. It also hides the contents of what you downloaded from your ISP and is handy for accessing blocked websites.
If you use a VPN for torrenting, your real IP address is protected from peers that download the same torrents. It also hides the contents of what you downloaded from your ISP and is handy for accessing blocked websites.
How does a VPN work?
When you install and run a VPN app, it connects to a VPN server that is being run by a VPN provider. All data in and out of your device is securely encrypted and forwarded via this “VPN tunnel”.
Consequently, the VPN server acts as a doorway between you and the Internet. It prevents your ISP from seeing what you are doing on the internet, and that websites on the internet can see who you are.
Your ISP will still be needed to connect you to the VPN server. However, because all data that passes through the VPN tunnel to the VPN server is encrypted, the contents of your data are not displayed.
This deceptively simple setup offers many advantages.
Does a VPN make me anonymous?
Regardless of how a service advertises itself, VPNs offer privacy and no anonymity. This is mainly because the VPN server can see everything your ISP can normally do.
However, unlike your ISP, good VPNs do not log this information, and therefore offer much more privacy than you normally have when surfing the Internet. However, even these will log information when summoned or when a binding court ruling is issued.
No VPN employee risks jail for you! Does this mean that VPNs are useless for privacy? Not at all. Such legal action is highly directed against those who are interested and thus does not pose a threat to the privacy of most regular VPN users.
However, the world’s Edward Snowden who needs a high level of true anonymity should use the Tor network instead of VPNs to protect their identity.
How do I configure my VPN?
The VPN software is easy to use and should “just work” without the need for additional configuration. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. This is especially true if you have an IPv6 Internet connection, as many VPN apps have difficulty handling the new Internet standard correctly. It’s always a good idea to check that your VPN is properly configured to protect you the way it should.
What is a kill switch?
VPN connections sometimes fail due to the vagaries of the Internet. Under normal circumstances, you will be connected to the Internet in this case, but without the protection of the VPN.
A kill switch protects you from this by preventing connections to and from your device if the VPN connection is not active.
Will a VPN slow down my internet?
A VPN forwards your data over an additional branch to a VPN server, which then has to spend computing power for encrypting and decrypting the data. It is therefore inevitable that using a VPN slows down your internet connection at least a little.
The two most important factors are the distance to the VPN server and the utilization of the VPN server.
If you’re connecting to a nearby server that is not overloaded, you can expect to lose about 10 percent of your basic Internet speed. However, the fastest VPNs invest heavily in high-speed servers, so you do not have to deal with a slow Internet connection.
Do I need an ISP when using a VPN?
An ISP or ISP provides your Internet connection and is required to connect you to the VPN server.
Can I use a VPN on multiple devices?
With every VPN provider, you can install your software on any number of devices. Most, however, limit the number of devices that you can use simultaneously with a single account. We refer to the number of devices that you can use with a VPN at one time, rather than the number of allowed “concurrent connections”.
VPNs typically allow three to five concurrent connections, although this number can vary significantly.
Most VPN services offer both iOS VPN apps and VPNs for Android users. However, finding support for less popular mobile operating systems can be difficult. For computer clients, most VPN services support Windows and Mac users, but Linux VPN clients can be harder to find.
Can I get a free VPN?
For a long time, it was a truism: “If you do not pay for a product, you are the product.” for a service that you may actually want to use.
This situation has changed in recent years, and there are at least a few free VPN services that are actually quite good. However, these too are limited in several ways compared to more premium services. We’ve found that cheap VPN services are among the best on the market. VPNs with the most requested features can be found for less than $2 a month.
Does a VPN make me secure?
In short, yes.
A VPN protects you from:
- Public WiFi hackers
- Your ISP
- Monitoring by the mass government
- Commercial WLAN operators who sell their browsing habits profitably
- Copyright owner
- Advertising and analytics companies that store your data to target you with ads (in combination with anti-tracker browser add-ons).